In a nutshell
To deliver great results for the business through passion, purpose and determination.
Taking end to end ownership of the commercial and sourcing strategy for my categories, I will create clear and compelling category plans providing a fit for purposes supply chain and deliver value for money to Sainsbury’s. I will employ a strategic sourcing methodology that enhances Sainsbury’s competitive advantage, minimises risk and helps deliver outstanding solutions for our customers and colleagues.
You will be a source of insight and solutions; and become a confident subject matter expert who discovers new ideas that challenge and influence business strategy at all levels.
What you need to do
• Demonstrate strong commercial acumen to create a clear and compelling category plans- balancing cost, quality and risk.
• Independently and autonomously execute these category plans using a strategic sourcing methodology to deliver best commercial and operational outcomes including cost and working capital improvement.
• Lead cross-functional teams to land business change in a considered but determined way
• Confidently deal with difficult conversations and negotiations with key suppliers and senior stakeholders alike
• Be a critical business partner to my stakeholders, challenging and supporting as appropriate
• Act as a point of escalation for the business in managing the risk and operational performance of suppliers as is necessary
• Build productive and mutually beneficial relationships with your key suppliers to identify opportunities and ideas
• Contribute to the overall success of the Department, acting as a role model for other members of the team
• Flexibly support the delivery of projects across other categories as required, enabling Procurement to focus on those areas that can deliver most value.
• Ensure all sourcing activity is conducted in line with Sainsbury’s Procurement Policy
How I will succeed
• Take ownership for your category, becoming a trusted source of insight and solutions
• Being persistently curious to understand key cost drivers within your category and identify opportunities for improvement
• Influence stakeholders up to Divisional Director level to secure support for your ideas
• Deliver value beyond just the numbers by making the most of your supplier and stakeholder relationships.
• Confidently and independently lead difficult conversations and negotiations with senior internal and external contacts
• Work cross-functionally with other parts of the business, leading others
• Balance the needs of your stakeholders, the business, customers and colleagues in all of your decisions
• Committed to delivering results and achieving the objectives agreed with your line manager
• Maintain oversight of my categories in order to identify and effectively mitigate key supply chain risks.
• Quantify and evaluate the cost/benefit of different options in order to optimise outcomes for Sainsbury’s Group
• Within business governance framework, deliver business as usual activity such as supplier appraisal and selection, contract terms, negotiation strategies and supplier management.
• Always act with integrity, living the Sainsbury’s values every day
What you need to know
• Procurement or commercial experience
• Tactical and Operational strong with a sharp commercial acumen
• Critical thinking and analytical skills
• Confident negotiation skills with knowledge / background in contract law
• Organisation and effective project management skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, influence up to and including Senior Manager level
What you need to show
• Curiosity and inquisitiveness and courage to challenge logically
• Energetic, resilient and adaptable- effectively operate in dynamic, fast paced environments.
• Effective communications skills, able to explain complex ideas in a simple way.
What decisions I can make
• Managing categories worth £10m-£50m revenue and capital expenditure across varied portfolio of categories
Resources available to me
• Category Managers
Please note: This role profile is aimed at describing the core output that should be achieved in this role. It is not intended to include