Duties & Responsibilities
It's an exciting time to join the Commercial team in one of the UK's best-loved brands.
At Waitrose & Partners, we're reshaping our Commercial function and investing in new capabilities to secure the future of the business - creating a strong, relevant and sustainable Waitrose with a distinctive place in the market. Commercial is in a period of exciting change, leading the way in Waitrose & Partners, making it an exciting place to come and join.
Our Vision: A world-class Commercial function
As the retail world changes around us, we're continually evolving our strategy and our proposition to lead the way in meeting the needs of our customers, and to stay ahead of our competitors.
The Commercial Directorate has a key role to play, working in partnership with suppliers to deliver innovative sourcing, buying, pricing and distinctive ranging of our branded and own-label products.
This is all part of working at the heart of a sustainable and thriving Partnership that's fit for the future.
In Commercial, we are set up and work in a way that means that:
- Our customers choose us first - because we offer inspiring and innovative products and services that they really want, with the best quality and price
- People choose to work here - because it's where they are valued and recognised for their contribution
We work together to deliver sustainable and profitable revenue, ensuring long-term financial success
Our Commercial Partners will work in team that:
- Are closely aligned with our Customer function, using data to understand customer trends and preferences
- Adopt a Category Management approach, with multi-disciplinary trading teams organised around the food and products we provide
- Support people to develop their skills and career paths, with opportunities for more flexibility, better movement and high-quality professional development
- Are part of building the future of Commercial for Waitrose & Partners
- Works collaboratively and horizontally across multiple teams and functions
- Working in a Category Pod, consisting of but not limited to Buyer, Merchandiser, Supply Planners, Technologist, Product Developer, deliver shared KPIs for the pod through collaborative working.
- Support Category Pod to deliver individual accountabilities (Indirect Shared KPIs)
- Manage, coach and train Buyers to deliver the above team purpose for their Category Pod by role modelling horizontal working, supporting negotiations, supporting escalations
- Upskill and develop buying skills of the Buyers through peer to peer coaching and mentoring to facilitate cross pollination between Category Pods
- Facilitate horizontal working across Category Pods
Required essential experience skills and qualifications
- Strong food, grocery or FMCG buying experience
- Data based decision making
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Effective performance management
- Working together across boundaries
- Empowering others
Required desirable experience skills and qualifications
- To have worked in one or more Commercial roles in the Partnership
- To have worked in commercial roles outside the Partnership
- Significant Buying experience
- Strong Food, Grocery or FMCG buying experience.
Please consider the following when making your application:
- We occasionally close vacancies early in the event we receive a high volume of applications. Therefore, we recommend you apply early
- Print off the job description now if you require it
- Ensure you have an up-to-date CV
Please note as this position is a secondment/FTC, if the successful applicant is an existing Partner, benefits will remain unchanged.
This role is subject to pre-employment screening checks.