Duties & Responsibilities
At Waitrose & Partners we pride ourselves on offering great products to suit all budgets and tastes, whether this is well-loved brands or own label products made by our expert Partners specifically for our customers. Wines is no exception. If you've ever visited the wine department of one of our branches you can see this for yourself.
As a Wine Buyer, you'll be part of the team in ensuring our customers find exactly the right wine for their dinner party, birthday celebrations,to mark a special occasion or just to relax in the evening.
Wokring within your category pod you'll be responsible for working with internal teams such as supply chain, logistics and merchandising and external suppliers to negotiate costs of wines, managing the joint business plans, managing suppliers promotion plans to deliver the category strategy as part of overal range management and performance. You'll also be responsible for developing new wines for your area.
As well as sourcing and developing new wines through blending and tasting, you'll be required to carry out all commercial activities such as;
- Negotiation and agreement of costs of goods with suppliers
- Selection and development of branded product ranges
- Working collaboratively with suppliers, Food Technologists, Brand Development, Marketing and branches to optimise the quality and availability of products for our customers
- Maintaining awareness of market dynamics and technological developments and provide appropriate insight across our business
Required essential experience skills and qualifications
- Commercial ability & accumen
- Strong data management skills
- Proven wine trade & product knowledge & experience
- Experience of working in category pods
Required desirable experience skills and qualifications
- WSET Diploma
Please consider the following when making your application:
- We occasionally close vacancies early in the event we receive a high volume of applications. Therefore, we recommend you apply early
- Print off the job description now if you require it
- Ensure you have an up-to-date CV
Please note as this position is a secondment/FTC, if the successful applicant is an existing Partner, benefits will remain unchanged.
This role is subject to pre-employment screening checks