J&J Consumer is recruiting for a Category Director, Global Base Chemicals, to be located in Zug, Switzerland.
J&J’s Consumer Companies develop and market brands that address needs of consumers and health care professionals worldwide. Our portfolio ranges across Baby-care, Oral Care, Compromised Skin, Beauty, Feminine Hygiene, and OTC medicines, is worth $13.1B in revenues to J&J. Chemical ingredients are the core technology in our products, their functional performance critical to the value we drive for our consumers & patients. J&J Consumer’s Chemicals is a complex global category of >1500 materials, across 28 different sub-categories, supplied by ~570 suppliers, valued at $700MM (2018 Business Plan). The spend comes in two broad classes, each with 50%: 1) Base / Commodity Chemicals, and 2) Specialty Chemicals.
Through our 2018-20 Strategy & road-map driving scale & choice across our ingredient portfolio and supplier footprint, the category aspires to deliver value to J&J through all-aspect spend performance (reliability, fair cost, compliance, sustainability, innovation), with complexity reduction (Project Rubicon) as its core enabler. The incumbent will identify value & performance improvement opportunities (cost improvement, supplier & partner development, dual sourcing, portfolio rationalization & scaling etc..) through sub-category & sourcing strategies, partnerships with suppliers and technical & supply chain partners, and finally through go-to-market initiatives enabled by advanced tools. Base Chemicals are specifically also exposed &/or vulnerable to volatility in agro-commodity (corn, palm, coconut, rapeseed) and petrochemicals (ethylene, ethylene oxide, base oil) markets.
Leading a team of 3 Category Managers, the incumbent will be accountable for a Base / Commodity Chemicals spend (~$350-400MM) in the form of allotted sub-categories e.g. Oleo-Chemicals (Surfactants, Emollients), Corn Derivatives & Sweeteners, Alcohols & Solvents etc; and will:
- Be accountable to strategize & drive all-aspect spend performance from Business engagement to execution to value capture; and owning the global / regional pipeline of initiatives and targets w.r.t performance in terms of value, reliability, compliance, complexity reduction & NPD support.
- Own of the current & future Basket of materials & footprint of suppliers (Basket) of assigned sub-categories.
- Generate (continuously), own, and drive the execution of the Category’s pipeline of projects, including Rubicon.
- Acquire / demonstrate deep expertise of & mastery over commodities to which spends are exposed &/or vulnerable, and the robust ability understand and articulate the impact of commodity volatility and market movement (MMF).
- Own Global Supplier Relationship Management (GSRM) for specific S1 & S2 suppliers through the category team(s), and manage supply agreements & awards, supply performance globally / regionally as appropriate (incl. issue resolution)
- Partner with Regional SC Procurement teams on execution, projects, delivery, and supplier management
- For team & category, own / drive skill, competency and talent development globally (regionally where appropriate)
Frequently or daily, the incumbent will engage, partner &/or interact with suppliers, internal technical and functional partners, project managers, and finance. The incumbent will demonstrate and enhance deep skills in Category & Supplier Management, complexity reduction, and sourcing; and build deep expertise in Chemicals (and commodities), direct materials and strategic procurement within the end-2-end supply chain.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Uncompromised requirements for the role):
(Include any required computer skills, certifications, licenses, languages, etc.)
• Demonstrated skills in Strategic Procurement, Sourcing, Category and Supplier Management, preferably in the Supply Chain Environment
• Experience having worked frequently / daily with technical, supply chain and other functional partners.
• Strong business and finance acumen, deep understanding of managing for impact in complex matrix environment
• Proven / demonstrated ability to lead a team, influence, partner on & shape projects with / without direct team / authority;
• Ability to engage, interact and negotiate value enhancing relationships with suppliers
• Experience in complex stakeholder environment; rich influencing skills; understands complexities of regulated industries
• min. 10 years of relevant professional experience, preferably inside and outside Procurement and in different J&J sectors or industries
• Relevant degree (e.g. Business, Engineering, Science), preferably complemented by top-notch MBA or other Master’s qualification