External Job Description
A Bit about us!
Diageo is the world’s leading premium drinks company, a business built on the principles and foundations laid by the giants of our industry.
Arthur Guinness, Alexander Walker and all those many talented people that followed in their footsteps, cared deeply about the people and businesses they fostered, and the communities in which they operated. Today we stand on the shoulders of these giants and act with the same entrepreneurial spirit.
We are a young company born of an incredible entrepreneurial legacy. The success of Guinness®, Smirnoff®, Johnnie Walker®, Tanqueray® and many more brands led to the formation of our company in 1997. And we only thrive today because of the talent of our people to grow our brands, old and new, and keep them strong.
As Category Specialist you will have specific responsibility for supporting the Global Category Manager in the development and delivery of sourcing strategies that optimize value creation, mitigate risk and satisfy Diageo business requirements.
The role has a requirement to provide market and industry knowledge, trends and forensic insight to support all freight strategy propositions.
The scope of the role also encompasses responsibility for sourcing events and contracting, administration and control of our data warehouse GT Nexus, carrier negotiations, validating monthly business reporting and development and roll out of e auction capability.
It has accountability for promoting improved and alternative ways of working within the category and across multiple business units. A key focus area is cultivation of relationships both internally and externally in order to align business goals and also facilitate quick resolution of issues.
• Support the design and delivery of the category strategy by providing detailed insights of the current and future internal and external environment, trends, anticipated changes, implications, options, cost drivers, capabilities and stakeholder fit. Collaborate with likeminded organizations to share best practice.
• Undertake sourcing events using tools and techniques that optimize a best fit end to end solution. Ensure data warehouse is timely maintained, developed and shared with other end users. Undertake coaching to develop capabilities across the business as appropriate.
• Pro-actively build a network of strong relationships with key stakeholders and suppliers through which key insights can be shared in order to continuously manage risk, opportunity and alignment.
• Track delivery of financial performance and coordinate with procurement operations team to assure service performance. Support the creation of financial plans.
Qualifications and Experience to be a success!
• University Degree in quantitative or commercially biased discipline.
• Purchasing and or Logistics qualification desirable (CIPS/MIEx).
• A background in International Freight would be an advantage as would specific knowledge of the freight industry and suppliers. .
• An understanding of Category Management
• Familiar with logistics and Supply Chain dynamics
• Strong negotiating skills
• Ability to prioritize and working to tight deadlines
• Confident in communicating at Senior level
• Analytical, numerate, enthusiastic and tenacious
• Very strong Microsoft Excel skills
• Familiar with E-auction tools and practices