We’re looking for junior buyers to join our buying team, which is responsible for buying fresh, chilled & ambient products for our Co-op stores, as well as Co-op Society stores and our Wholesale & Franchise businesses. Our buying teams are responsible for providing our customers with the products that they love, and this role offers a rare opportunity for you to see the results of your hard work paying off, every time you step into one of our stores and see your products on the shelves.
You’ll be working in a busy, high energy team, and will be using your commercial knowledge to source fantastic quality and locally sourced products whilst being continually mindful of keeping costs down. If you can bring us some buying experience and a passion for building your career in retail, we can offer you a chance to develop your skills in a business that puts people right at the heart of everything we do.
What you’ll do:
• take full responsibility for managing and developing your section within one of our trading categories
• source products from different suppliers in the UK and around the world, and work closely with our product developers, supply chain and technical teams
• work towards KPIs and sales deliverables, contributing to the teams turnover targets
• lead supplier negotiations, benefitting the business and our customers
• represent the business in supplier meetings and visits
• build strong productive relationships with suppliers and a variety of internal colleagues
• maintain ethical and sustainable standards and ways of doing business
• be innovative and creative with new ideas and ways of working
This role would suit people who have:
• strong numerical and analytical skills
• experience of working in a fast-paced environment, preferably within retail
• excellent communication and negotiation skills
• a natural ability to build relationships with suppliers and internal colleagues at all levels of the business
• commercial awareness and a natural ability to spot new opportunities
• a positive attitude with energy, tenacity and creativity to help you develop innovative propositions
• experience of working with specific budgets and managing spend
• an understanding of the retail convenience sector would be advantageous
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
● competitive salary
● coaching, training and support to help you develop
● pension with up to 10% employer contributions
● annual incentive scheme
● 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
● discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances. You can find out more about Co-op people policies at coop.co.uk/peoplepolicies.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.