At New Look, everything we do is for the love of fashion. Without following that core belief, we wouldn’t be where we are now. But, what else does it take to be one of the biggest brands on the UK’s high street? We think that it comes down to our employees – and our mission to be the go-to destination for men’s, women’s and teen’s clothing and accessories.
Our motto? Keep it simple. Be brave. Think customer. Act with pace. Take responsibility. That’s the New Look way. If that sounds like you, we’d like to have you on our team! We’re always searching for enthusiastic and dedicated individuals to take New Look to exciting places.
What does our Merchandising team do?
We are responsible for the planning and stock management of our products across all our channels and markets. We work really closely with Buying on how we can maximise our profit by putting the right product, in the right stores at the right times.
Merchandising & Planning
• Achieving department KPI’s in line with strategy and department plan, maximising sales and profit
• Reviewing the category Weekly Sales and Stock Intake (WSSI), coordinating action to maximise profitability of the department and reduce risks
• Contributing to range development by ensuring the Product reflects the Brand strategy, the range is without gaps and duplication, and the season is logically and commercially thought through in line with the Critical Path
• Managing Commitment to ensure operational efficiency and stock targets are met
• Responsible for preparation and presentation of range sign offs in line with department / strategy and customer requirements
• Reviewing and monitoring range plans regularly with the Buyer to reflect changing sales / trends in order to maximise profits
• Monitoring product groups, determining pricing strategy and price point and taking action to influence range Building in conjunction with the Buyer
• Reviewing depth and width to optimise availability and minimise markdown risk
• Applying in-depth knowledge of the current competitive market place and using this to develop the departmental strategy and Merchandising framework (comparative shopping)
• Maintaining a focused, reliable supply base in order to maximise profit
• Developing a flexible sourcing strategy with the Buyer to ensure the optimum balance of margin, quality and lead-time flexibility
• Demonstrating a flair for generating and recognising imaginative, innovative ideas and solutions which have commercial gain, challenging upwards where necessary
• Good understanding of the Department’s current Customer insights, Market Share and opportunities
• Ensuring in-season activity delivers planned sales, margin and terminal stock targets
• Analysing data, identifying issues and trends, interpreting results to provide sound recommendations to protect / maximise profit
• Managing the weekly product sign-off process, including awareness of impact on Open to Buy (OTB), flexibility and margin
• Reviewing current sales with the Buyer, reacting appropriately to maximise sales opportunity whist predicting emerging trends, market changes and challenges, to increase market share
• Managing of Intake Margin, Markdown and Promotions
• Identifying promotional and marketing opportunities for product areas and feeding into the trading calendar
• Supporting with the management and development of fellow colleagues / team, delivering relevant training and support when required
• Managing and developing the Team, displaying strong leadership skills to enable achievement of New Look’s strategy
• Giving 1:1 coaching on the job, transferring skills and knowledge to others
• Conducting regular catch up’s and performance reviews, proactive in managing performance, ensuring constructive feedback, recognition and praise is given
• Creating and sustaining a positive Team spirit
• Translating the BMD vision into clear goals and objectives for your direct reports and their teams
• Previous experience as a Junior Merchandiser / Merchandiser within a major retailer / department within New Look
• Customer knowledge
• Solid negotiation and influencing skills
• Great interpersonal / communication skills
• Ability to line manage, train and develop a Team
• Ability to initiate, build and maintain strong relationships with Branch Merchandising, Design, Buying, Quality Assurance and Suppliers
• Excellent presentation skills
• Can work under pressure whilst maintaining a positive attitude for the Team
• Communicate effectively with all internal and external teams
Why New Look?
Our internal career progression is celebrated and encouraged. Plus, we offer bonus schemes, season ticket loans, a huge staff discount of 40% and amazing deals across a number of different businesses.
If you’re still not convinced…
• Every Friday we finish at 4pm
• At the end of the month, we have a social mix up at the New Look Arms
• There’s free fruit, tea and coffee, to keep you energised for the day
• We have an exciting new Kitchen & Coffee Bar for your enjoyment: The Hub
Want to be a New Looker? We guessed you would! Apply now to find out more.