At New Look, everything we do is for the love of fashion. Without following that core belief, we wouldn’t be where we are now. But, what else does it take to be one of the biggest brands on the UK’s high street? We think that it comes down to our employees – and our mission to be the go-to destination for men’s, women’s and teen’s clothing and accessories.
Our motto? Keep it simple. Be brave. Think customer. Act with pace. Take responsibility. That’s the New Look way. If that sounds like you, we’d like to have you on our team! We’re always searching for enthusiastic and dedicated individuals to take New Look to exciting places.
What does our Buying team do?
We partner with all areas of the business, utilising our market knowledge of current trends, to continually develop and buy a fantastic range of products suitable for our Customer. The Customers’ requirements are at the heart of everything we do, therefore not only trend but quality, affordability, sustainability and speed to market is really important to us.
We are looking for an experienced Buyer to join our Dresses team. To put the customer requirements at the centre of the product offer to develop and deliver a commercial and profitable range that maximises sales opportunity. Agree and support delivery of the departmental sourcing plan, optimising the best route for product in line with the business strategy (in conjunction with Merchandising and Quality). Negotiate with the departmental Supplier base to deliver better values, cost prices and lead time. Reporting directly into the Head of Buying.
• Understanding the Business Strategy and how that impacts your Department
• Developing and implementing departmental strategy with your Team
• Determining a pricing strategy and price point policy for ranges in conjunction with the Merchandiser
• Seasonal Fabric Planning and Fabric Commitment Management
• Works within the Open To Buy (OTB) targets to maximise the customer proposition across the regions and markets, reflecting the Regional Range Plan
• Applying knowledge of the current competitive market place and trends to drive the direction of the department
• Capacity planning determining the production capacity required to meet changing demands for the product
• Understanding of the Department’s current Customer insights, Market Share and opportunities
• Applying New Look brand and sub-brand strategy to product and range decisions within own area
• Working in conjunction with Marketing and Visual Merchandising to identify opportunities for your department.
• Building relationships across the division to create the strongest possible 915 and Brand ranges.
• Leading X division stories i.e Holiday shop and Cosy/Xmas shop.
• Understanding product trends and interpreting them where relevant into product areas
• Exploiting OTB through product development
• Understanding of the Option Framework and ensuring the Designer is aware of options that require development
• Negotiating the best cost price to achieve departmental margin targets and reacting to market conditions to protect profit
• Developing the right product at the right time, in line with the departmental design brief to meet customer requirements
• Building ranges to option framework to maximise sales and proft and to offer the customer the best assortment
• Understanding the best sourcing route and Supplier for product whilst developing a short lead time route for trading
• Managing and singing off product specification packs, seeing beyond current trends and thinking innovatively to meet the Critical Path
• Working with Design to develop the brief and product, sharing ideas with other product areas to ensure brand / product consistency
• Monitoring Critical Path on Commitment to insure intake targets are met
• Highlighting trial product opportunities for all channels to maximise future sales and reduce risk
• Working with Garment Tech to complete fit sessions in order to develop blocks and fit, that reflects design input and customer trends
• Agreeing packaging requirements and presentation of product in line with the Critical Path
• Managing fabric, print and colour where relevant with the Fabric Team
• Considering opportunities with other business models/ International partnerships
• Identifying new sourcing opportunities and providing focused, clear development direction to the current supplier base
• Planning production for suppliers in conjunction with the Merchandiser
• Managing Supplier relationships and KPI’s along with the Supply Base Team
• Fully manage the Critical Path from concept through to Buying, making adaptations (where required) to react to market changes and challenges
• Reviewing current sales with the Merchandiser, reacting appropriately to maximise sales opportunity whist predicting emerging trends to increase market share
• Understanding the implications of Weekly Sales & Stock Intake (WSSI) changes on Range Building and responds accordingly
• Sharing of information where relevant on Product, Suppliers, Best /Worst sellers within the business area and across other business areas
• Monitor, maintain and action a full competitor analysis, and present ideas to gain competitor advantage
• Managing an effective Team, prioritising workload to ensure tasks are completed on time
• Motivating, training and developing direct reports
• Demonstrating collaborative working and support with Merchandising, Design and Technical colleagues
• Acting as a positive role model for the Team and peers
• Extensive previous experience as a Buyer
• PC literate - Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook
• Knowledge of all the elements that make up the cost of a product
• Understanding of supply chain issues / cost – (e.g. product lead times/ flexibility/ supplier capability)
• Ability to develop and build a comprehensive product range based on agreed option framework in the Assortment Planning Tool
• Understanding of packaging and presentation of a product to the Customer
• A comprehensive knowledge of the current competitive market place (comparative shopping)
• Understanding launch plans, phasing and sale dates
• Ability to identify relevant product trends in the Global retail market place (directional shopping)
• Ability to put together a comprehensive and clear design brief (in conjunction with the Designer and Garment Technologist
• Ability to confidently review sales data
• Risk assessment and SWOT analysis skills
• Numerical and analytical skills
• Customer knowledge
• Solid negotiation and influencing skills
• Experience of operating in an unstable economic climate
• Multi product experience
• Great interpersonal / communication skills
• Ability to line manage, train and develop a Team
• Ability to initiate, build and maintain strong relationships with Design, Merchandising, Garment Tech and Suppliers
• Excellent presentation skills
• Can work under pressure whilst maintaining a positive attitude for the Team
• Communicate effectively with all internal and external teams
Why New Look?
Our internal career progression is celebrated and encouraged. Plus, we offer bonus schemes, season ticket loans, a huge staff discount of 40% and amazing deals across a number of different businesses.
If you’re still not convinced…
• Every Friday we finish at 4pm – hello weekend!
• You’ll receive monthly privilege vouchers for family and friends to enjoy 25% off – spread the love!
• Grab yourself a bargain at our quarterly sample sales – when the discount isn’t enough!
• Receive 24/7 access to the Retail Trust, a confidential and independent service for people in retail – because your mental health is important to us!
• Agile working environment - we have open break out spaces and state of the art coffee and tea stations throughout our offices – we know the importance of a diverse environment!
Still want to be a New Looker? We guessed you would! Apply now to find out more.