This is a fantastic opportunity to come and work for a company voted 5th in the Great Place to Work (Best Large Workplaces) awards 2018, and Number 15 in Europe in 2017! We have over 450 stores and over 310 Groom Rooms and are the UK's number one pet care business. Our business is fast-paced, innovative and fun and it's our people that make the difference.
Reporting to: General Manager - Stoke Distribution Centre
Direct Reports: Site Shift Managers, First Line Managers
Key Relationships: Head of Distribution, General Manager – Transport, First Line Managers, Warehouse Colleagues, Stock Control First Line Manager, People Manager, Health & Safety Manager - Distribution
• Reporting to the General Manager, responsible for managing the Distribution Centre to ensure all KPI’s and costs are met.
• In the absence of the General Manager, responsible for managing all aspects of the site operation.
• Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and added value whilst key service levels are not affected.
• Manage agreed stock levels to ensure the operation consistently meets the requirements of the business.
• Manage and develop the Operational Team to create a highly successful and engaged team.
• Ensure a proactive approach to risk management and adherence to site health & safety regulations to ensure a safe working environment.
• Ensure the Site provides first class service to all Stores.
• Work with DC Senior Management team to provide best service to stores.
• Promote Company values within the DC to create a good working environment.
• Pro-active approach to colleague engagement ensuring visibility across all shift patterns
• Responsible for developing a collaborative relationship with internal teams and suppliers to ensure that communication within the operation is consistent.
Nature and Scope
• Responsible for the operational budget and KPI’s.
• Interpret all reports to ensure smooth running of the Site.
• Ensure that the correct resource levels are maintained.
• Work with senior management team to create a good working environment across the site.
• Promote company values and ensure all colleagues live the values.
• Produce weekly and monthly service level reports.
• Promote a safe working environment, whilst ensuring all colleagues comply with Health and Safety regulations.
• In liaison with the General Manager, manage the relationships with transport.
• Develop an empowering management culture.
• Front line ‘hands on’ manager
• To ensure that the general standard of housekeeping is to agreed standards
• Will act upon and follow up any other reasonable requests as identified by senior management.
• Action oriented with a proven track record of managing and delivering change within a fast moving distribution environment.
• Knowledge and experience of materials handling equipment, together with warehouse management systems.
• Managed service level agreements (SLA’s) and key performance indicators (KPI’s.)
• A proven leader who takes pride in the development of teams.
• Managed budgets and negotiated contracts.
• Has knowledge of wider aspects of the supply chain.
• Implementing continuous improvement initiatives.
• Exceptional people management skills.
• Energy and tenacity to succeed in a fast paced environment.
• Forward-thinking and competitive with a store centric focus.
• People leader within the site.
• Focus and detail on cost control.
• Excellent communicator.
• Self starter and highly motivated with high energy level
• Very strong attention to detail and data analysis.
• Strong commercial acumen.
• Customer focus.
• Creative and resourceful under pressure.
• Results orientated.
• Team player within the wider business.
• Ability to build and motivate teams.
• Excellent people management and first class, proven leadership skills.
• Skilled in Human Resources and Health & Safety.
• Planning skills.
• Robust IT skills.
• Change management skills.
• Project management skills.
• Communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Commercial skills and experience e.g. budget prep, financial management, investment project expenditure
• Management, cost control and business case development.
• Capable and committed to developing the team and helping them, manage their career progression.
Education & Achievement
• Track record of success in both operational and managerial roles.
• Several years’ experience within a management position within Distribution Centre Management, preferable in a Retail or similarly fast paced, high volume environment.
• Salary up to £60,000 per annum
• 33 days paid annual leave (including bank holidays)
• Birthday Leave - 1 day extra leave to celebrate your Birthday!
• The option to buy extra holidays
• An extra days holiday when you become a new pet parent (Dog/Cat/Horse)
• An extra days holiday when you move home and half a day when your little one’s ‘fly the nest’!
• Pension Scheme
• Colleague Discount- 20% discount for you (plus one family member). This can be used in Pets at Home Stores, Groom Rooms, Companion Care Veterinary Services, and Pet Plan Insurance!
• “Treats” benefits- an online range of offers and discounts which are available exclusively to Pets at Home Colleagues
• Life assurance
• Contributory Private Health Care
• Charity Leave- You are entitled to have one paid day’s leave each year to work for your favourite animal related charity.
• Celebrating Special Celebrations? You’ll get 1 extra week off and a gift to celebrate your wedding or civil partnership, and a gift from us if you are expecting or adopting a baby!
• Free Car Parking
• Free Gym
• Values Awards
• Colleague of the Month Awards
• Cycle to Work Scheme