This role works collaboratively across functions and divisions and plays a key role in developing and directing Global Procurement’s integrated supplier sustainability strategy, driving and monitoring progress on defined supplier sustainability objectives, communicating Global Procurement’s accomplishments to internal and external stakeholders and building an awareness and culture of sustainability within Roche.
Mgmt. & People Accountabilities
• Guide people - Guide Procurement staff (and project related staff as appropriate) and contribute to feedback.
Supplier Sustainability Strategy and Planning (30%)
• Accountable for the design of Global Procurement’s approach to driving incremental improvements in sustainability in the supply base, through research, strong collaboration, and alignment with existing Roche strategies and ambitions.
• Collaborates closely with Risk and Compliance towers, Global Procurement’s category and sourcing teams, Business stakeholders, and Group functions to develop an integrated and coordinated supplier sustainability strategy, with objectives designed to drive business results, reduce risk, and deliver measurable impact on environmental and social issues
• Aligns with Risk and Compliance towers in developing and coordinating expertise in the execution of sustainable procurement strategy including the Policy on Third Party Spend, Supplier Code of Conduct, supplier diversity and inclusion practices, ethical sourcing, supplier risk management, and the Supplier Sustainability Audit Visits (“SSAV”) program.
• Identify and prioritize areas for supplier sustainability efforts and recommend strategies for proactively addressing relevant sustainability issues.
• Articulates long term objectives and strategies to secure and leverage senior level commitment and engagement for integrating sustainable development into core business processes and decision-making.
• Builds the strategy for delivering a supplier sustainability maturity model, working with colleagues from the risk and compliance towers in S&R and other relevant stakeholders.
• Continuously research and evaluate evolving sustainability trends and legislation, with a global perspective; stay informed regarding emerging sustainability issues and best practices; identify opportunities for collaboration and assist with development of risk mitigation recommendations.
Sustainability Program Management (25%)
• Deliver sustainable supplier maturity model by mentoring and supporting suppliers who volunteer to participate in the Roche Sustainable Supplier program from inception through final certification.
• Lead and grow the Green Supplier program.
• Lead supplier greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction projects.
• Develop, manage and analyze supplier human rights, energy, water and waste assessments.
• Continuously measure and monitor progress against sustainability strategies, objectives and performance targets.
Communication and Marketing of Supplier Sustainability (20%)
• Establish a communication framework to educate and build broad awareness of supplier sustainability within Global Procurement and across the Roche network.
• Serves as a Global thought leader on Sustainability for Global Procurement, monitoring emerging trends and issues including global market differentials, and communicating and educating others on sustainability topics through internal communication channels.
• Socializes sustainability objectives to align with other key transformation programs within Global Procurement and capitalize on the wave of change ensuring sustainability remains a key consideration as a project deliverable.
• Serves as the central point of contact for interfacing with all stakeholders on the subject of supplier sustainability.
• Develops and manages Sustainability Communities of Interest
Key Account Management (25%)
• In collaboration with the Risk and Compliance towers, represents the S&R function, acting as the key account manager for assigned Category and Regional procurement teams, to present and recommend risk mitigation and sustainability strategies, and support the successful completion of Supplier Sustainability Assurance Visit program.
• Performs in an advisory capacity on supplier sustainability to Procurement and the Business.
• Serve as a resource for internal partners for Sustainability reporting and broader communications needs and opportunities.
• Leads & supports on ad hoc projects relating to risk mitigation & business continuity as required (such as COVID-19 Infoportal)
• Prepare and manage the Sustainability budget.
• Develop and maintain Sustainability dashboard for tracking and reporting progress against objectives.
• Prepare regular updates for Balanced Scorecard goals and on sustainability initiatives for RCC and Global Procurement leadership
Scope of supervision
Number of employees supervised
Education, experience and skills
• B.S./B.A. in Law, Finance, Economics, Engineering or related discipline
• Advanced Degree (MSC/MBA), and/or relevant advanced procurement qualification (MCIPS/CSCMP) [Preferred]
• Extensive experience of multi-disciplined procurement or related category domain experience of relevant experience
• Deep experience of surrounding pharmaceutical risk management, compliance, and supplier management
• Demonstrable program management skills, including ability to direct multiple programs
• Strong technical and analytical experience in the context of supply chains and sustainability
• Strong collaboration in team environments but able to act quickly as the decision-maker
• Proven ability to proactively build relationships and navigate organizational complexities; skilled at collaborating and influencing up and down the organization and across global sites.
• Proven ability to write white papers and detailed process documentation
• Experience with sustainability benchmarking
• Ability to think strategically beyond day-to-day execution
• Excellent written and verbal communications in English
• LEED Accredited Professional, LEED Green Associate and/or Certified Energy Manager designation
• Sustainability reporting (GRI)
• Energy and waste auditing
Availability and willingness to travel (air and ground both domestic and internationally) up to 20% of time